Calvin Austin Publish time 2024-6-15 06:22

Strolling in Sapporo, Hokkaido, the pearl of the north covered in snow

My trip to Hokkaido with Teacher Ren started and ended in Sapporo. The last day in Sapporo was also the most fulfilling day. As the capital of Hokkaido, Sapporo is a city where you can stroll from day to night. It is a pearl of the north covered by snow. So, the fulfilling walk in Sapporo began.

Using the most eye-catching group photo of crabs as the first picture

The first stop is the old Hokkaido Government Office Building in Sapporo. Today’s journey can be said to have almost copied Mr. Ren’s previous trip. The route I took to Sapporo once was the same. This time it was still not open to the public. About 10 months later, Teacher Ren came again in the autumn and it was still not open. As an attraction in the city center, this place is almost all the places to visit when arriving in Sapporo. A must-visit attraction for tourists, this Baroque-style building built of red bricks brings a unique beauty under the cover of heavy snow. An excellent choice for taking photos.

Old Hokkaido Government Building

Second stop, Sapporo Clock Tower. This is a European-style building. Every hour on the hour, the clock still chimes. It is said that the bell has tolled. It has been ringing for more than 120 years and is the last bell tower in Japan. The house is divided into two floors, with small exhibitions about the history of the bell tower and bells ringing from various places.

The clock in Sapporo

The large bell ringing device on the second floor

After walking out of the clock tower, we went to Odori Park and looked up at the TV Tower, Dadong Park in winter is deserted, and the TV Tower against the backdrop of wind and snow is a bit chillier.

Odori Park

Tanukikoji Shopping Street

Bypassing Odori Park, Teacher Ren and I went to Tanukikoji Shopping Street, which is said to be Sapporo's most famous shopping street, I don't know if it's because of winter or because I came too early. Many shops are not open. It is more depressed than any shopping street I have been to. Maybe I came at the wrong time. After coming out of this exit, there was a lively seafood market opposite. I saw all kinds of Hokkaido giant crabs. Later I learned that this is the famous Nijo Market in Sapporo...

Every crab exudes charm

Big crab, big crab

Although I didn’t buy crabs here, I was very impressed. I was attracted by Hokkaido cantaloupe. While I was watching the crabs, Teacher Ren bought me a small piece of Hokkaido cantaloupe for 500 yen. It was the sweetest and most expensive cantaloupe I have ever tasted... However, I have to say that Hokkaido cantaloupe tastes really good. After leaving Nijo Market, we headed to the most popular biscuit factory, Shiroi Koibito~

It’s a white fairy tale world, yes

A cute little house

The garden is full of all kinds of cute decorations

We experienced a sudden heavy snowfall all the way to get here. Fortunately, after arriving, the heavy snow stopped and there was accumulation in the garden again. There was a lot of snow, and the park, which was originally like a fairy tale world, added a more realistic effect. The house is crowded with tourists. This is really the largest shopping center for tourist souvenirs... Although Shiroi Koibito is sold in various stores and airports, there are also many limited editions sold here. I bought a cute commemorative refrigerator magnet so that Shiroi Koibito can always appear on our refrigerator~

Shiroi Koibito Ice Cream

There are many small toys decoration in the house

There are so many tourists

Take another photo before leaving

Leaving Shiroi Koibito Factory, our next step The stop is Hokkaido University. I believe that many friends who have been to Hokkaido or particularly like Japanese cookies have heard of this cookie from Sapporo Agricultural School. The so-called Sapporo Agricultural School is the predecessor of Hokkaido University. Hokkaido University is also a very famous university in Japan. One of the imperial universities. Moreover, I think it may also be the largest university in Japan, because there is a very large experimental field in the College of Agriculture. We walked inside the school for nearly an hour and did not reach the other edge...

South Gate of Hokkaido University

Creek

School History Museum

Main Building

Gymnasium

If I remember correctly, it seems to be the School of Liberal Arts

Leave from the main entrance

It is the New Year holiday, so most of the facilities in the school are closed , and there were only a few students. In the end, instead of buying Sapporo Agricultural School as a souvenir, we bought the little mascot of Hokkaido University--Potato-san (I named it randomly, haha) and took it home. It was getting late after leaving Hokkaido University, and this day's walk in Sapporo was not over yet... We returned to the original starting point, Sapporo Station, where there is an observatory dedicated to enjoying the night view of Sapporo

Night in Sapporo

Night view of Hokkaido

Although we missed a million night views in Hakodate, Sapporo did not leave us with this regret. After seeing this city , we headed to our last stop today, the Sapporo Beer Museum. It has the best beer in Sapporo and the most famous Genghis Khan grilled lamb in Hokkaido. When we went there, the lobby was already packed with people. The aroma of wheat mixed with the rich aroma of mutton warmed every passerby in the cold, but we didn't Enjoy the gourmet feast of Hokkaido here...

Sapporo Beer Museum

For our last dinner in Sapporo, Mr. Ren and I chose a bustling izakaya on the underground street, with Sapporo Together, we ended this ordinary day. Here, we had grilled chicken wings that we have never forgotten until today. Later, we ate many kinds of chicken wings, but never encountered the same kind again... This may be the taste of nostalgia left to us by Hokkaido.

Hokkaido special chicken wings

The beginning and end of Hokkaido

The snowy Hokkaido welcomes us and bids farewell We

At this point, my trip to Hokkaido with Teacher Ren ended. On the last day of 2023, we returned to Osaka from Hokkaido. Hokkaido put a very meaningful end to 2023. When I recalled my trip to Hokkaido again in the hot summer, my heart was still full of yearning, and those difficult journeys in the blizzard also became full and lucky at this moment.

If you believe in the existence of the fairy tale world, you must come to Hokkaido~

If you don’t believe in the existence of the fairy tale world, you must come to Hokkaido~

See You, the fairy tale world of Hokkaido!

Pages: [1]
View full version: Strolling in Sapporo, Hokkaido, the pearl of the north covered in snow