Donahue Eddie Publish time 2024-5-30 04:36

Weekend getaways: TOP 10 those niche outings that slow you down

Chongqing is known as the "mountain city" because of its many mountains and slopes. People's inherent impression of Hong Kong is that it is a prosperous metropolis. Speaking of Hong Kong, the red trams, dazzling neon billboards, dim sum shops lined up one after another, and the hustle and bustle of Mong Kok come to mind. Few people associate it with mountains and rivers.

It was only after I came to Hong Kong that I realized that Hong Kong is also a "mountain city" built beside the mountains. If the mountains in Chongqing are simple and experienced, then the mountains in Hong Kong are taller, facing the sea, and have a more open momentum. On weekends, compared to shopping in bustling shopping malls, many Hong Kong locals prefer to make an appointment with friends to go hiking in the suburbs. This may be seeking a sense of shelter in "seclusion" in the busy city life.

After coming to Hong Kong, I also fell in love with hiking. Here I share with you some of the attractions I have visited. I hope you like them.

1. Little Hawaii

Little Hawaii Waterfall is located in the Tseung Kwan O Stream behind Tseung Kwan O Village. This is a very easy road to walk on, with paved stone slabs on the road. Because there are many shades of trees, it is very cool in summer, and there are streams and rocks around, so it is a great summer resort.

There are many waterfalls of different sizes and characteristics in the Tseung Kwan O Stream, so they are collectively called Little Hawaii Waterfall. Go upstream along the Little Hawaii Trail to the upper reaches of the waterfall, where you can see the crisscrossing village scenery and the ruins of the former dam.

Distance: 2.5km
Time: About 1 hour
Transportation: Take the MTR to Po Lam Station and then transfer to the 17A minibus to reach Tseung Kwan O Village

A very beautiful stream, gurgling, with many children playing in the water

Children seen on the cliff at the top of the mountain

Looking down the cliff, it looks like a costume movie

Finally we reached the halfway point. The houses in Tseung Kwan O looked more time-honored and worldly than the skyscrapers in the city center.

2. Hok Tsui

If you like the sea, you must not miss Hok Tsui. Hok Tsui offers a beautiful sea view. Walking through the mountain road to the seaside, you can see the azure blue, the sea gently hits the rocks, and the gentle sea breeze blows towards you.

Journey: 2.5 hours
Distance: 7 kilometers
Transportation: Take the MTR to Shau Kei Wan and then transfer to bus No. 9 to Hok Tsui Station
Hiking trails: Tai Fung Au Hok Tsui Village Hok Tsui Fortress Hill Ruins Hok Tsui Lighthouse Ocean Research Institute Tai Fung Au

The coast of Cape Tsui

3. Fishing Man

The scenery of Fishing Man is probably the best among all the mountain roads I have walked so far. To be honest, the scenery of many mountains in Hong Kong is beautiful, but before reaching the top, it is all bare grass and stones. But the scenery of Fishing Man is from beginning to end, and the scenery is great from the moment you walk up the mountain.

But I personally feel that there is a section of the road in Fishing Man that is quite difficult to walk. There is a section of the mountain road near the end, which is very steep. When I came down, because the steps were too high, I almost used my hands and feet, and fully experienced "it is easy to go up the mountain but difficult to go down the mountain".

Journey: 3 hours
Distance: 5.5 kilometers
Transportation: Take bus No. 91 from Diamond Hill MTR Station and get off at Wu Kuai Tin Station

The scenery of the fisherman is really beautiful

The sea water is gradient

The embankment in the distance leads to the heart of the sea.

4. Dragon's Back

Dragon's Back is probably one of the most famous hiking trails in Hong Kong. In 2004, Time Magazine rated Dragon's Back as the "Best Urban Hiking Trail." When I first went to Dragon's Back, I felt like it was an ink painting. The blue sea was covered in mist and looked soft and elegant. There are many villages around, just like the villages in Japanese movies, with an old man selling pineapples and children wearing swimsuits and swimming trunks. The sun at two or three in the afternoon seemed to make you take a nap on the beach, and all your worries disappeared.

Distance: 9.5 kilometers
Route: Tudiwan, Dalanchengding Mountain, Dragon's Back, Matang'au, Big Wave Bay
Transportation: Take the MTR to Shau Kei Wan and then transfer to Bus No. 9, get off at Tudiwan Station

Dragon's Back is a landscape painting shrouded in mist

Put on the mask of pain Orz The wind is too strong so I can only take a photo of the back

The wind is so strong that I am about to be blown down the mountain

5. Tai Mo Shan

Tai Mo Shan is the highest mountain in Hong Kong, with an altitude of 957 meters. Although Tai Mo Shan is relatively high, it is not difficult to reach it from the main road. There is a paved cement road, which is very flat and you can just go straight up. In autumn, golden silver grass is everywhere. Although I missed the season when I went there, I still felt it was magnificent walking on the misty mountain road. There was a feeling of vast sky and vast wilderness. I seemed to become very small, and I felt like a grain of sand in the world.

Journey: 5.5 hours
Distance: 14.5 kilometers
Transportation: Take bus No. 51 from Tsuen Wan West and get off at Country Park Station

Clouds over Tai Mo Shan

The road seems to lead to the sky

The yellow grass feels like wheat waves, The village can be seen in the distance

6. Ya Lei Pork

Ya Lei Pork is so beautiful! It's like an island in a fairyland, the sea is bling bling, and the sand island in the sea is colorful. But! To get to Ya Lei Pork, you have to climb Yugui Mountain... I almost shed tears when I talk about this. There is no paved mountain road on Yugui Mountain, it's all muddy and sandy, and you have to climb up with ropes (please imagine the Japanese bouldering sport.) When going down the mountain, the muddy bottom and steep slope are simply killing me. I staggered and thought I was going to die several times.

Distance: 4.5 kilometers
Path: Lidong Village Yugui Mountain Ya Lei Pork Return the original route
Transportation: Bus No. 96 from Causeway Bay to Lei Tung

Floating islands

The water of duck tongue steak is really blue

7. MacLehose Trail Section 2

The MacLehose Trail has a total of 10 sections, making it the longest hiking trail in Hong Kong. Among the 10 sections, the most scenic and famous one is Section 2 from Long Ke to Pak Tam Au. I went there with my friends on Valentine's Day, but the queue for the village bus was so crowded! No! Go! In my imagination, everyone celebrates Valentine's Day in the mall, but in reality, couples go hiking hand in hand to celebrate the holiday?

Distance: 14.5 km
Path: Sai Wan Shan, Chuitong Au, Sai Wan, Ham Tin Wan, Tai Lang Au, Chek Keng, Pak Tam Au
Transportation: Take a taxi from Sai Kung to East Dam of High Island Reservoir and walk for about 20 minutes to the entrance of Section 2; or you can go to Sai Kung City Center and take the 29R village bus

The scenery just after arriving at MacLehose Trail

The sea hidden between the mountains

8. The Peak

There is no need for me to introduce the Peak. You can take the cable car up there, or you can choose to walk up from Central. There is a Jiuji Beef Brisket in Central, which has been on TVB for a long time. It specializes in braised beef brisket. The small shop is always crowded with customers. You can have a bowl of beef brisket noodles, and then walk up the mountain path slowly. From the Peak, you can overlook the night view of the whole Hong Kong. Skyscrapers, hundreds of lights, bright stars, and a gentle night.

The road from Central to Victoria Peak The road from Central to Victoria Peak

9. Tai Tam

Tai Tam Reservoir is a pre-war reservoir in Hong Kong. The scenery is very quiet and it is a relatively sparsely populated outing spot. On rainy days, Tai Tam is emerald green, with a sense of gracefulness of the misty rain in the south of the Yangtze River. Although it was a sunny day when I went there, the scenery along the way was still very beautiful, with a feeling of bright spring.

Journey: 2.5 hours
Distance: 7.5 km
Transportation: Take the MTR from Quarry Bay Exit A to King's Road and then go up the Mount Parker Road Nature Trail.

The view from the top of the mountain!

Datan Reservoir

10. Wilson Trail Section 2

The Wilson Trail runs from Wong Nai Chung to Lam Tin. This is a relatively small hiking trail with many uphill and downhill sections, giving you a feeling of walking through the mountains and forests. It was evening when I walked the Wilson Trail, and I saw the sunset over the city from the mountain. The sun illuminated the sky and the sea level together. It turns out that the sunset can be so shining.

Time: 2 hours
Length: 7km
Transportation: Take bus No. 6 at Central Exchange Square and get off at Wong Nai Chung Water Reservoir Park Station

Just in time to see the golden sunset

Pages: [1]
View full version: Weekend getaways: TOP 10 those niche outings that slow you down