Return to list Post a new post

[Notes/Guide]

Traveling in Bali, Indonesia, I felt an infinite disconnect. Luxury resorts and local slums

109 0
Post time 2024-10-9 04:18 | View all Read mode

Register now to join Ufos Travel and make travel friends around the world

Login to follow friends and send messages. No Account? Register

Bali, as everyone calls it, is a holiday resort full of happiness and freedom. It is indeed a place suitable for relaxation and leisure, but these few days in Bali also made me feel different situations. The happiness and freedom of Bali are reflected in the foreigners who come here for vacation. The New Year is the peak Tourist season here, and foreigners from all over the world flock to the island for vacation. Especially under the carnival smiles of the white people, it is the locals who provide non-stop service during the New Year. Of course, they are also very happy with such service, because this way they can have more income.

The income of ordinary people in Indonesia is too low. I learned from the communication with local overseas Chinese that the daily income of ordinary people here is only about 7 US dollars. The other streets behind the busiest shopping mall in Bali are full of dilapidated shops and Indonesians sitting on the ground. My friend and I joked that this place seems like the dilapidated and chaotic harbor area in 2077. When I sat down on the beach and prepared to have a drink, countless Indonesians surrounded me and talked to me. Bali immediately became a tourist off-season after the New Year, and the number of tourists on the beach gradually decreased. Their warm greetings are just to make more money.

After rejecting various sales pitches, I chose an aunt to give me a massage. It cost $10 for 40 minutes. The aunt was very hardworking. But before long, several more aunts came around. One of them knelt down at my feet. I was so scared that I quickly refused. But she immediately explained that she would do a manicure for me for free. If I didn't like it, I wouldn't charge any money. I couldn't resist her enthusiasm. After carefully repairing my big toe, she drew a small flower for me, and then smiled and showed me her results. I hesitated for a long time before asking her how much it would cost. I bargained a little and made a deal of $10.

Suddenly, someone tapped my shoulder. It turned out that when I just sat down, an aunt helped me order a drink (I thought she was the owner at that time). She asked me why she helped me order but didn't ask her to do a manicure? I could only smile embarrassedly, and she immediately sat down at my other foot and prepared to start. Because I have read too many posts on Travel pitfalls on the Internet, I followed the mentality of being safe and sound and quickly asked the aunt who had agreed on the price what was going on? She comforted me and said it was okay, and I just had to pay her in the end. Actually, I was still quite worried at the time, but I didn't say much.

As a result, the aunt who hadn't started to take my order cut her hand and bled. She complained about herself in disappointment, and then left and let someone else continue. I started to feel a little uncomfortable. Finally, the nails were done. The aunts were very skilled. They painted small flowers on all my toes, and my worries seemed very redundant. They didn't ask me for a penny more. I finally felt relieved and a little more guilty.

Along the way, I also met locals who kindly took you across the road but invited you into the store, which made me more cautious. Bali is full of laughter and joy. White people like to drink and party on buses or sightseeing buses. Every time I raised my camera when passing by, they would wave enthusiastically. Their enthusiasm is from the heart, while the enthusiasm of Indonesians is just for the means of life. This place full of joy and freedom also made me feel infinite separation.

Bali-Traveling in Bali, Indonesia, I felt an infinite disconnect. Luxury resorts and local slums
Bali-Traveling in Bali, Indonesia, I felt an infinite disconnect. Luxury resorts and local slums

You have to log in before you can reply Login | Sign up

Points Rules

Complaints/Suggestions Contact

[email protected]

Unauthorized reproduction, copying and mirroring are prohibited.
Any violation, held legally accountable
  • Android APP
  • IOS APP
Copyright ©copy 2021-2024 Ufos Travel All rights reserved All Rights Reserved. 2024-10-16 00:49 GMT-8 Processed in 0.142523 second(s), 39 queries .
Turn off the lights Publish One Post
WhatsApp
Quick Reply To Top Return to the list